Saturday, July 2, 2011

Firecracker Cookie Dough Pops

First, a photo that explains the title of today's post.
Would you believe me if I said it was healthy? Well, it's not a slice of watermelon or a fresh crisp apple, but considering what it is, it could be much worse for you. All most of the ingredients are whole and natural. We will get back to that in a minute.

Here are some photos from my walk today. This was the first picture I snapped.
Pink and green.
Pink and green reflection.
Crazy hot sun... can you see the plane?
This tree was COVERED in bees!
I'm not sure what these are, they were growing in clumps on a tree.
Can you tell it was hot?
We went back to the car and had lots of water! And took one last picture of this cute little guy.
Then we came home and made these!
I have at least 6 recipes for raw cookie dough balls. I couldn't decide which one to make, so I read the recipes, got the general idea, and came up with my own concoction. Then I dipped them in chocolate and sprinkled red, white and blue nonpareils on them. Then froze them, and drooled as I took these pictures.
I started out by dipping the entire cookie dough ball in chocolate but then decided I liked the idea of only dipping half of it. When you make these choose whichever way suits your taste!
Firecracker Cookie Dough Pops

Ingredients:
2/3 cup cashews
1/2 cup oats
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 pitted medjool dates, chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons maple syrup
2 tbsp dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted, for dipping
1 tablespoon coconut oil

Directions
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a food processor, process the cashews and oats until a fine crumble. Then add the coconut, salt, and roughly chopped pitted medjool dates. Process until fine.

Add in the vanilla and maple syrup and process until the mixture comes together in a ball.

Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the 2 tablespoons of chopped dark chocolate. Roll into balls and stick with toothpicks.

In a double boiler or in the microwave, melt 1/2 cup of dark chocolate with the coconut oil in a small bowl. Be careful not to burn. Then roll each ball into the chocolate and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with nonpareils. Replace toothpicks with lollypop sticks, if desired. Freeze until chocolate has set, then transfer to refrigerator until ready to serve.

They are delicious without dipping them in chocolate too!
But this gives them an extra POP for the fourth of July!
Happy Fourth!!

8 comments:

  1. Love this!! They look sooo yummy!! Your camera took awesome upclose pics!! I've been wanting to make cake or cookie pops sometime as well! Please bring me one tmw! ;) I'm using the same sprinkles on the vegan cupcakes I'm making for Pops...can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I must try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look outstanding! I can't wait to make these myself, with multicoloured sprinkles for Pride in Montreal. Thanks for sharing these! Happy July Fourth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Fourth everyone! Yes, I hope you try them- they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love making cookie dough with very similar ingredients and I love how you made them into little pops covered with chocolate! They're so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog!! Your photography is very nice - I am experimenting with cookie dough pops and it looks like yours turned out so well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Heidi and Aly! They are so easy to make- one of the reason I love raw recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sounds amazing! Love "heathy" cookie dough anything!

    ReplyDelete