Monday, June 6, 2011

Lentil Burgers & Garlicky Kale Mashed Potatoes

If I had to choose which dinner I was most looking forward to this week, I never would have chosen tonight's. I just kind of threw my menu plan together this week and was hoping for the best. After eating tonight's dinner, I'm guessing it will be my favorite this week! The kale mashed potatoes were inspired by kale and potato enchiladas that I made last week (which were tasty, but a far cry from photogenic.... maybe next time I make them I'll get brave and try photographing them anyway). I thought the two went quite well together!

The lentil burger recipe came from Peas and Thank You, another one of my favorite blogs! Gluten free friends, no bread crumbs involved!
I thought our farmer's market kale was so pretty. I even took pictures of the stems after I cut the leaves off!
I set this kale leaf aside because it looked like a fall leaf!
Then I washed, and chopped the leaves, while the potatoes were boiling.
I prepared the garlic. I LOVE this garlic mincer! Nate's mom gave it to me, who got it from his grandmother. It makes garlic mincing so much easier- and it is easy to clean too!
I sauteed the garlic in safflower oil for a minute.
Then added the kale and cooked for a couple minutes until it was wilted and bright green (are you tired of seeing pictures of kale yet?)
Then I drained and mashed the potatoes, and added a little plain almond milk, salt and pepper.
Mix it all together, and there you go! A healthy and scrumptious side dish!
Garlicky Kale Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:
2 large potatoes, peeled, and cubed
2 tablespoons safflower oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, stems removed, and leaves chopped
1/4 cup plain almond milk
salt and pepper

Directions:
Put potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. boil 15 minutes or until tender. 

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Add minced garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add kale and sea salt and saute until tender, 1-2 minutes. Set aside.

Mash the potatoes, add milk, salt and pepper. Add kale to the potatoes and stir.

I followed the lentil burger recipe to a T. Well, not exactly. The only thing I changed was leaving out the olives and onions, because someone in our household is an olive and onion hater (and it's not me... just sayin). If you are not a worcestershire sauce fan, I'd try replacing it with balsamic vinegar, or even water- it needs that extra liquid in it.
I made a simple salad to go with the lentil burger- I used our kohlrabi from the farmer's market! I just peeled it and chopped it. It had a VERY mild radish flavor. 
And there you have it! My favorite recipe this week. I know it's only Monday, but it's my favorite. I've already decided.
Lastly, I added avocado. I'm addicted.
Nate approved of this meal too. Good thing I left out those onions and olives. Does anyone else have a strong animosity against onions and olives, or am I the only lucky one to have to adjust my recipes to this hatred?
Well, I'm off to bed soon so I can supervise some more of this.
And this.
And by "supervise" I mean hope they don't destroy the classroom, while I complete end-of-the-year paper work at my desk and pack things into boxes.  Oh, the joys of the last week of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment